Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Home Made Chicken Stock

I can't take the credit for this recipe.

I always thought that making your own chicken stock was a complicated affair. But.... I was watching River Cottage Australia when they ran through the recipe and I was happily gob smacked at how simple it really is. 

I then of course changed it. A little!

We buy a bbq chook every so often - which never ceases to thrill the furry pants off our two Tibetan Spaniels who can smell it 5km away! 

Once I've removed the drumsticks and chicken wings, removed and shredded all the meat for us and the bits for the pooches, all I am left with is a carcass filled with stuffing! I used to throw the bones and mankier looking bits out. Now I use them to make super easy stock. 

I put all the bones, stuffing, even skin in a saucepan. I roughly chop a carrot and by roughly I mean it's not peeled and it's cut into chunks. I do the same with a brown onion. If you have celery, cut up one stick and add it to the saucepan, leaves and all. Parsley, same deal. Whatever you have that you think will compliment the taste. Season with salt and pepper and add some mixed herbs. 

Cover all of this with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 1 hour. 

Drain the liquid from the veggies and carcass and discard them, reserving the liquid which is now your stock! 

I pour mine into containers and freeze it. I then will often use it as the base for my chicken and sweet corn soup.


Easy peasy!


From this....

To this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment