Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Tuna Pasta Bake

This recipe is a simple go-to that uses ingredients you already have at home in the pantry and freezer.  I love it for those times I forgot to take something out for dinner or haven't done the groceries as yet.

What started as simply following a recipe from the internet, I couldn't help myself, I had to improvise!

Here's how I put my Tuna Pasta Bake together:

250 g pasta (spirals, penne, whatever you like)
40 g butter
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups milk (full or low fat)
3/4 cup grated cheese
425 g can tuna, drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas or half cup finely chopped broccoli if I am smuggling vegies. I've even finely diced a zucchini. (Desperate measures with kids!!)

Pre-heat your oven on 180 deg C.

Boil a medium sized saucepan of water and cook your pasta until al dente. Sounds fancy!  Just cook it until it's done. Drain.

Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and stir until combined.  Remove from the heat.  Add the milk, stirring to combine. Place back on the heat and continue to stir until the sauce boils and thickens. Remove from the heat again and add half of your grated cheese, stirring it in to combine.  Mix in the drained tuna.  Pour all of this mixture into the drained pasta and stir through.

Pour into a prepared oven dish. I use about a 6 cup capacity Pyrex dish. Preparing means I have pulled it out of the cupboard!  Smooth the mixture out so it is even. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top.

Pop the dish into the oven and bake for about 10 - 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

This is great served on its own or with a side salad.

Serves 4 (with lunch leftovers!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment