Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Crunchy Salad - For Those Like Me Who Never Really Liked Coleslaw.

Once upon a time when I used to work in an office, I was offered to taste a salad that quite frankly, blew me away.

Being the true to form Taurean that I am, I of course asked what was in it (meaning the dressing because the contents, you will see, were pretty darn obvious) with a view to replicating this at home.

We now have this salad most weekends.  It is healthy, super crunchy, and delicious.  And if you are like me and have some foods you wished you loved but don't - like I do with coleslaw - then this is for you.

This recipe though allows me to improvise like nothing else.  With supermarkets producing packets of already chopped salad ingredients, I just go to town with what looks good on the day.

Here we go:

1/4 red cabbage finely shredded*
1/4 green cabbage finely shredded
1 carrot grated*
4 slices red onion
1/2 avocado, chopped
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Dressing:

1 tbsp mayonnaise**

Mix all of these together and you have yourself a healthy and delicious lunch time salad.  Add a tin of tuna for an extra protein hit!

* the cabbage and carrot form the base of the salad. However, rather than chop the ingredients myself, I have also been known to purchase a pre-packed bag of coleslaw and just add to it, or more recently, a pre-packed bag of chopped beetroot, carrot and zucchini.  I will also add avocado, capsicum (peppers), cucumber - whatever you think

** to add a little extra zing to the dressing, I will mix in a teaspoon (or thereabouts) of caesar salad dressing or ranch with the mayo

No comments:

Post a Comment