Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Chilli Con Carne - Slow Cooker Tuesdays

It is becoming widely known - because I keep reminding you - that I improvise (a lot) in the kitchen.  Turns out, so does my father, and his mother before him. So it is fair to say it is in the genes!

Today's recipe is a play on Taco Tuesdays.  My kids heard that term on a show once and decided to run with it.

Tonight however, it is not taco's as such. We are having Chilli Con Carne. And I decided to do it in the slow cooker.  Here's how it's happening:

1 tin crushed tomatoes
1 tin mixed beans (you could use red kidney beans)
500g lean mince
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1 sachet Chilli Con Carne recipe base powder mix 
(I would also use taco seasoning if I had to. It smelled the same!)


I emptied the tin of tomatoes into the slow cooker first. I then filled the tin to about half way with water, swished it around and poured that in as well.

Rinse the tin of beans under water until the soapy looking bubbles are no more. Pour them in to the slow cooker.  

Add the mince, the contents of the recipe base sachet and the corn.  Give it all a good stir to combine.  Lid on and turn to LOW.

Time on was 7.30am.

Because I am feeling all fancy and Mexican (and mainly because I have today off), I am serving this with corn chips, avocado, sour cream, lettuce, red onion and grated cheese, almost (but not quite) turning this into a Nachos-athon.




No comments:

Post a Comment