Monday, March 10, 2014

My Natural Remedy For Hot Spots On Dogs


I have mentioned previously that I prefer a more natural approach for remedies where possible.  I apply the same approach to my dogs.

Of course I take my dogs to the vet, and give prescribed medication when required. When one of my dogs however had a run of hot spots, the constant application of cortisone cream caused him a lot of pain on such a raw wound.

It was time to look elsewhere.

I came up with the following recipe which has worked an absolute treat:-

Always use a carrier oil - I use olive oil.  You could use any other vegetable oil.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops German chamomile essential oil
2 drops tea tree oil (you could use eucalyptus oil as well)

Pour a small amount (about the size of a 10c piece/dime) into your hands and rub into the affected area, twice daily, until a scab has formed over the area.  Continue to apply on the scab if your dog begins licking the area again. (Scabs are itchy as they heal).  


The German chamomile soothes the wound, the tea tree oil begins the healing process (if applied at night the wound will be noticeabley dryer in the morning) and the lavender allows your dog to relax and have a well earned rest after all that licking that caused the wound in the first place!  

This is all I use on their hot spots now.  The hot spots never get that bad that I have to take them to the vet for medication anymore.  I keep some of this remedy made up in the cupboard so that when it is required, I have it on hand.  I find that after approximately two days, if that, the wound is well on its way to healing and can be left alone.

If your pooch suffers from the occasional hot spot, give this a go next time.  This is one of those secrets that is too good not to share!

What are your favourite natural remedies?  I'd love to hear them.

Please note I am not a medical professional or natural therapies practitioner. This remedy recipe has been derived from information sourced on the internet regarding natural remedies suitable for dogs.

Photo credit: bellejheanell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment